Dr. Samuel Green purchased land on the east bank of the Cape Fear River in the 1730's. His intention was to cultivate rice in the swampy lowland. He named his plantation Greenfields. Located south of what would one day become Wilmington, he also dammed up several small creeks to create a mill pond that drove a functional grist mill well into the 1800's. By the end of the 1800's it was already a recreational destination and by the 1920's the City of Wilmington had taken over much of the land for a city park.